Courthouse Road Widening & Interchange with I-95 Relocation
- The Interstate 95 interchange at Exit 140 (Route 630/Courthouse Road) will be rebuilt as a diverging diamond interchange.
The interchange will be relocated slightly south of the existing interchange.
- The project will also relocate the intersection of Courthouse Road and Route 1 to the south to align with Hospital Center Boulevard.
- Courthouse Road will be widened to four lanes between Route 1 and Interstate 95. West of I-95, Courthouse Road will be widened to four lanes to a point just west of Ramoth Church Road/Winding Creek Road.
- A traffic signal will be installed at the entrance to Colonial Forge High School.
- Construction will also realign Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road to intersect at a traffic signal.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will construct this project using the design-build procurement method.
- Construction is estimated to begin this summer.
- Tentative construction dates have been scheduled for this project. Final schedule information will be available at public meetings before construction begins in summer 2017.
- Winter-Spring 2017: Final survey and geotechnical work.
- Spring 2017: Right of way acquisition begins for properties affected by the Exit 140 interchange project.
- Summer 2017: Construction begins on the Courthouse Road widening project.
- Winter-Spring 2018: Construction begins on Exit 140 interchange and the new Park & Ride lot.
- Late 2019: Completion of Courthouse Road widening.
- July 31, 2020: Construction complete on entire project, with the diverging diamond interchange open to traffic.
Courthouse Road Park & Ride Lot
- This project will relocate and expand the VDOT Park & Ride lot on Courthouse Road.
- The existing number of spaces in the lot - 545 parking spaces - will always be available during construction in the vicinity of Exit 140. The contractor is required to provide a minimum of 545 parking spaces at all times in a temporary location while construction is underway.
- VDOT wants carpools, vanpools and transit riders to continue ridesharing from this I-95 interchange during construction.
- The new, permanent Park & Ride lot will be moved east of I-95 and expanded to approximately 1,000 spaces.
- A precise schedule for Park & Ride lot impacts has not been set. As soon as these dates are available, VDOT will communicate with lot users and the community regarding a move to a temporary Park & Ride lot. Commuters can expect to have 545 spaces available throughout construction.
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
- A diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is an innovative design that is increasingly being built or considered by state transportation departments.
- The ramp configuration is similar to a traditional diamond interchange. However, traffic on the cross street, Courthouse Road, will switch sides.
- Traffic is shifted to the left side of the road, which allows vehicles turning left to enter an interstate on-ramp without stopping at a traffic signal.